Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
Fordham, A History of the Jesuit University of New York
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.

Fordham, A History of the Jesuit University of New York: 1841-2003

Thomas J. Shelley

Abstract

Fordham is the story of the evolution of a small diocesan college into a major American Jesuit university. Founded by John Hughes, the Bishop of New York, as St. John’s College in 1841, the Society of Jesus assumed ownership of the college in 1846. The name was changed to Fordham University in 1907, two years after the establishment of the first two graduate schools (Law and Medicine). A major expansion took place in the 1960s with the creation of the Lincoln Center campus. A recent fund-raising campaign raised over a half-billion dollars. In 2015 Fordham had an enrollment of over 15,000 stude ... More

Keywords: Bishop John Hughes, Lincoln Center

Bibliographic Information

Print publication date: 2016 Print ISBN-13: 9780823271511
Published to Fordham Scholarship Online: January 2017 DOI:10.5422/fordham/9780823271511.001.0001

Authors

Affiliations are at time of print publication.

Thomas J. Shelley, author
Fordham University